Monday 10 September 2012

sweet strawberry hat FREE PATTERN!

Sweet strawberry hat FREE PATTERN
Just in case you have a little one in your life that couldn't possibly be sweeter, her is a way to sweeten them up even more. Make them a sweet strawberry hat! This Hat takes a little more yarn than just a basic beanie, but not much. I just love how the bright green looks with the red!

Finished hat should fit 18-24 month old. (17-19" head circumference)


Materials used
hook size: H hook
worsted weight yarn in red and green
Needle for sewing on parts.

Stitches used
ch,
sc,
sl st,
dc,
bobble stitch.

Bobble stitch is as follows:
yo insert hook in st, yo, draw up a loop. (3 loops on hook) Yo, pull through 2 loops on hook. Yo insert hook in same st, yo, draw up loop. you, pull through 2 loops on hook. Yo insert hook in same st, yo, draw up loop. you, pull through 2 loops on hook. Yo insert hook in same st, yo, draw up loop. you, pull through 2 loops on hook. (this is the same as 4 half complete dc)  yo, pull through all loops on hook. Bobble made.

Hat is made in rounds, you do not turn after any row of this hat.

Hat pattern:


Start with red yarn and make a magic ring.

Round 1: ch 3 in ring. dc 11 more times in ring. join to top of ch 3. 12 dc. (the ch 3 counts as a dc) pull to close.

Round 2: ch 2. dc in same st. as ch 2. 2dc in each st around. join to first dc. (24 dc)

Round 3: ch 2. Dc in same st as ch 2. Dc in next stitch. *2dc in next st. Dc in next st** repeat from * to ** all the way around. Join to top of ch 2. (36 sts)

Round 4: ch 2 dc in same st as ch 2. dc in next two sts.  *2dc in next st. dc in next 2 sts.** repeat from * to ** all the way around. Join to top of ch 2.  (48 sts)

Round 5: ch 2 dc in same st as ch 2. dc in next three sts.  *2dc in next st. dc in next 3 sts.** repeat from * to ** all the way around. Join to top of ch 2. (60 sts)

Round 6: ch 2. Dc in same st as ch 2. dc in next two sts. Bobble in the next st. *dc in next 3 sts. bobble in next st.** repeat from * to ** to end of row. Join to top of ch 2.

Round 7: ch 2. Dc in same st as ch 2 and each st around. (6o dc)

Round 8-14: Repeat round 6 & 7 alternately ending on row 7. break off yarn and weave in ends.


Earflaps:


start by attaching red yarn to hat, ch2 (counts as first stitch)
(I fold the hat in half so that the front is showing. I then count in 5 sts from each side and place a stitch marker. This is where I start my earflaps and I work toward the back of the hat where the joining "seam" is.)

1. dc 10, ch 2 turn

2.dc2tog, dc in next 7 st dc2tog ch 2 turn

3.dc2tog, dc in next 5 st, dc2 tog ch 2 turn

4.dc2tog, dc in nex 3 st, dc2tog ch 2 turn

5.dc2tog,  dc in nex st, dc2tog ch 2 turn

6.dc2tog twice. break off yarn.


Add one to each side of hat. 


"Leaf" for hat top:

Using green yarn start with magic ring. Ch 2 in ring, and dc 9. (total 10 dc in ring) Pull closed. *ch 15. sl in second ch from hook. sc in next ch. dc in each of the remaining ch and sl st to next st in circle. Repeat from *4 more times. (total of 5 leaves) Break off yard leaving a long tail for sewing.

Edging:

using green yarn with the OUTSIDE of the hat facing you, attach the yarn. ch 1. sc in same st where yarn is attached and sc in next 3 sts. ch 3 and sl st in 3rd ch from hook. *sc in each of the next 4 sts. Ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook.** (this is called a picot stitch and you can see better directions here.) Repeat from * to ** all the way around. Join to first sc. Break yarn, weave in loose ends. 


Strawberries, make 2:


starting with RED yarn make a magic ring. 6 sc in magic ring. pull to close. DO NOT JOIN ROUNDS. USE STITCH MARKERS OR COUNT CAREFULLY.  

Round 1: (sc in next sc. 2 sc in next sc. ) repeat 3 times. 

Round 2: (2sc in next sc.) 9 times

Round 3: (sc over next 18 sc) 3 times

Round 4: (sc2tog) 9 times

Round 5 (sc3tog) 3 times.

break off yarn, leaving a very long tail. Stuff strawberry with this very long tail, or use batting.


Strawberry leaves: make 2



Using green, start with a magic ring.

Round 1: 6 sc in ring and over tail, do not join, pull tail to close center ring—6 sc.

Round 2: *Ch 5, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 3ch,  sl st in next st in round 1; repeat from * 5 
times. Fasten off leaving a long tail. Sew on to top of small berry.

using a long strand of green doubled over, sc a long chain from bottom of earflap. tie off with knot leaving two long strands for sewing berries onto hat.

Add leaves to the "vines" if you wish.


A pink berry hat with flowers instead of berries!

For a list of crochet stitches and how to make them go here.


**You may use this pattern to sell items, but I request that a link or credit be given back to this site** This is a ©Knotty Knotty Crochet pattern, and may not under any circumstances be sold in whole or in part. Duplication is by written permission only.











20 comments:

  1. Love this!

    I work with AllFreeCrochet and have been trying to contact you. Please email me if there is a good way to reach you.

    Thanks!
    akaplan@primecp.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern! The hat is very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kinda new to crochet and I love the pattern but am having a hard time. Does the "chain 2 count as first DC"? I'm finding that when I DC crochet in same "chain 2 st", it ends up being an increase and I have more than the 36, 48 and 60 stitches. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute pattern. The DC in same chain 2 is an increase. Because of this my stitch count is off. Is there an error? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, no error. I really need to do a tutorial on this. I am self taught and may be doing it wrong, but it works out fine for me. On the start of a non-increasing round I always DC in the same st. as the ch 2. When I get to the end of the round I skip the last st and join. no spaces. Same number of stitches. I will try to post about it, but this is the only way I could find to do it that didn't make the seam go crooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that clears it up for me. I do not like a crooked seam and could never figure out how to fix patterns I like with a crooked seam.

      Delete
  6. Hello! I made this for someone and it turned out great! Do you have a pattern to fit a 3/6 month old? I would really appreciate it. I want to make this for a christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I am wondering how to scale this pattern down for a newborn. Would this be fairly simple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do four rounds of increasing for a newborn. (up to 48 sts) then continue in the pattern. I would do 6 or so rows of non increasing sts so that the hat height reached the desired length. Measuring from the centre of the top of the hat the hat height should be approx 5.5 to 6 inches. If that is still too big use 11 dc instead of 12 in the first round then carry on to 4 rows of increasing. (44 sts) It would make it a bit smaller. Check out the hat sizing chart http://knottyknotty.blogspot.ca/2011/12/hat-sizes-chart.html

      Delete
  8. This is such a great pattern I made both the strawberry and the pink one for my granddaughter and the turned out so cute. I posted them on my Pintrest board "My Creations" with links to your blog. Thanx for the share. My Belle looks adorable in both the designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, glad you liked it! could you send a link to your pintrest pictures? I would love to see them! Thanks for the kid words!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kristi,

    Thank you for this great website! I have made the strawberry hat. Just wondering how you the the stem (from the second picture) and vines with flowers? If you have a link to the pattern I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks for your generosity,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I have a question , if you don't mind and I hope I can make myself understod.When I do the bubble st , the st is visible only on the wrong side of the hat...so this means that the hat itself is actually with the wrong side outside?
    Thank you so much for your generosity for sharing these patterns!!I also made a raccoon hat after yours and my son adores it!!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely adorable! Thank you for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I put my version on my blog, so here's a link to it: http://duckinthesink.blogspot.nl/2014/02/strawberry-hat-approved-by-test-subject.html I enjoyed making it, so thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. do you offer the pattern for the flower ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to make this for an adult. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa Leon. The trick to making any hat for any size is to measure the flat circle you make before you stop increasing. measure that circle from edge to edge and multiply that by 3.14. That will give you the circumference. You would have to play around with hook size and stitch numbers. Using an H hook I usually do 13-14 DC in my first round and I will do 5 rounds increasing. Hope that helps. Check out the hat sizing chart. There is a link at the top of the page.

      Delete
  16. Hi Kristi! Thank you so much for this fabulous pattern! I love it and have made it several times. I even created my own version of it, straying slightly from your pattern. Would it be okay if I posted a video tutorial of my version of the strawberry hat? I would be happy to provide a link back to your pattern, as you provided the inspiration for my version. Thank you! -Sam

    ReplyDelete

Little flying ace hat, scarf and boot FREE PATTERN!

 I have been wanting to do this little set for a while, and was thrilled when a friend ordered it for her new grand-baby. I can't wait...